August 15, 2013

Hot Air Balloon Festival

Bookmark and Share

There are two items on my "forty before forty" list that I'm cheating on. Cheating by accomplishing two of the items before my 39th birthday, but who said anything about that rule, just my overactive conscience certainly not me. There were two items that have been on my Big Bucket List for a while, and I did them close enough to my 39th birthday that THEY COUNT. My list, my rules.

The first? Attend a hot air balloon festival

Now listen. I do not like heights adventure so much that I wanted to *go up* in a hot air balloon, no siree. And I went to this same hot air balloon festival at night a couple of years ago--which was fun, but I still wanted, no--neeeeeeeeeded to see a whole bunch of hot air balloons take off into the sky. 

Unfortunately, this happens only at dark o'clock in the morning.

I have only one child who is crazy enough to leave the house at 4:00 in the morning to go see balloons. Okay, I lied. I have two kids who are crazy enough to get up that early, but only one of those kids can respect the "morning silence" as I transform myself into something resembling a human. So I left Chatty Cathy and the two Sleepy Sloths at home, getting their zzzzzz's and being completely unaware that anything "fun" was going on.

I had full plans to pick up a breakfast along the way, but really, our stomachs were still asleep and I figured it'd be awfully hard to swallow without saliva.

Where were we now. Yes. Balloons.

I love primary colors. Bright colors. Simple designs. I think that's why I like hot air balloons so much. We drove a half-hour across the city and spent a good hour or two watching one balloon after another fill with air and take off. It was magical. 

See what I mean?










I apologize if those pictures don't quite do the spectacle justice. It was such a neat thing to see and I was glad I took the effort to get up eeeaaarrly to check an item off ye olde bucket list!

(Here's the full "forty before forty" list if you're interested.)


Subscribe to this blog's feed and follow me on twitterfacebook, and goodreads!


2 comments:

Jill Foley said...

I love your pictures

Lisa Smith said...

Thank! Edited in Picasa by yours truly...