August 6, 2009

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Bookmark and Share

You might be one of those people who can grow your own food while the rest of us, howshallwesay, have to RIP OUT THEIR DYING TOMATO PLANTS AND THROW THEM AWAY.

Well, the word from the likes of you, You Guru In The Garden, is that it's zucchini season. And because I am nothing if not generous, I am sharing my favorite quick bread recipe (that makes an awesome chocolate cake) with the whole interwebby world.

So hand over your zucchini and no one will get hurt.


Chocolate Zucchini Bread

3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 cups zucchini, grated
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix until well blended. In small saucepan, melt butter, add cocoa powder and blend until smooth. Set aside to cool. Add grated zucchini and cooled cocoa mixture to the large mixing bowl and blend well. In separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add dry ingredients to the batter. Stir in nuts if desired. Pour batter into two generously greased 9x5x3 loaf pans. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Bake 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 5-10 minutes. Remove from pans and continue to cool on wire rack.

Notes: I prefer to use the mini-loaf pans for my quick breads--they cook faster and more evenly. This recipe will make 6 mini-loaves; bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes. Also, the bread freezes well if you can get it there before the loaves are all eaten up.

More recipes over at Ann's Food on Fridays.



4 comments:

Sheila said...

Just made this a couple of weeks ago and shared the recipe with a few other friends here!!! It is so yummy, even my dad ate some, Mr. Picky who doesn't really like his veggies! : )

Ann Kroeker said...

I used a recipe I had for zucchini bread (I made them into muffins) and they were a total flop. Bleh. So I'm going to try yours now, so that the kids will believe once more in my power to transform that strange vegetable into something unbelievably delectable.

Sharinskishe said...

I really need to make this, because chocolate goes very well with zucchini! However, my 2 squash plants have basically ceased to thrive and need to be "Ripped out and Thrown away!" I wonder if it has to do with them being in containers and I have forgotten to water them regularly? My toms are doing fine, but they are in the garden............. Maybe next year.....

So I am looking for some zucchini donations so that I can make this recipe and get my chocolate/zucchini fix.

Shari

kimberly t. bowling said...

Can't wait to try this on my kiddos...we have cooking camp sessions at our house, but I believe I'll do this recipe secretly so they won't see the veggies going in!! :)

Thanks for sharing the recipe!