May 7, 2009

Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan

Bookmark and Share

When paired with a whole-grain pasta and some salad, this meal is a filling and frugal way to go. It's surprisingly simple, and the chicken stays juicy and tender.

And if I wanted to have people over for dinner, this is something I'd whip up for my friends. The imaginary ones.


Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan

4 whole boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 whole egg, beaten
3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 jar (26-28 oz) RagĂș Old World Style Spaghetti Sauce*
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
hot cooked pasta

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Dip chicken in egg, then bread crumbs, coating well. In 13x9 glass baking dish, arrange chicken. Bake uncovered 20 minutes. Pour Ragu sauce over chicken, then top with cheese. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Serve with hot cooked pasta.


Hat tip to my mother-in-law who passed on this recipe to me several years ago. It's a keeper!

*Note about the sauce: I always use the "Old World Style." Not sure why, but I think it's because it's simple, and not as sweet as some of the other sauces tend to be.

For more foodie-type posts, head over to Ann's Food on Fridays and the Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap.





7 comments:

sarah chia said...

Yep... Chicken Parm is one of my easy go-to's. Always tastes like you put more trouble into it than you really did, and I always like for people to think I try when I really don't. :)

BTW, let your mom-in-law know that her pics are really good. I especially like the old lady sleeping at the craft fair.

Ann Kroeker said...

I love it when I get ideas like this--now I feel like I could have people over for dinner and serve something delicious (and easy)!

mumologic said...

I love that there is no Parmesan in your Chicken Parmesan recipe. Haha.

Stretch Mark Mama said...

mumologic: I noticed the "no parmesan" thing too, right after I typed up the recipe. Oh, ha ha ha hilarity ha.

Ann Kroeker said...

I've kept this recipe in the back of my mind as a standby when company's coming and I don't have time to invent something fancy.

So.

Company's coming tonight.

I'll let you know how it goes....

(though...he's from DRC, so I don't know how he feels about Italian food)

Linda Crowder said...

The lack of Parmesan caught my attention too, but only after I linked the recipe in an email I was sending to a young couple that I will be cooking for. And I didn't even notice it when I wrote it down in a notebook that I carry to work with me. I went back to the recipe, re-read it carefully because I was sure that it would read Parmesan instead of Mozzarella...that I had made an error. I am just beginning this new job, they have not even tasted my cooking yet. So now I need to try and explain why there is no Parmesan cheese in the recipe....any hints? This is TOOO funny..

Stretch Mark Mama said...

What I'd do is mix in 1/3-1/2 cup of Parmesan with the bread crumbs and then dip the chicken in that.

I went and looked up the original recipe, and much to my surprise, there wasn't any Parmesan listed there, either! http://www.favoritebrandrecipes.com/Recipes/005/3674001005.htm