August 12, 2008

Microwave Corn On The Cob

Bookmark and Share

I remember our first microwave. It was the late 1970s, and that baby was BIG. One day we accidentally pressed the "start" button with no food in the cooker and immediately panicked and thought--"We Are Dead For Sure."

But we lived. And I've moved past my fear of the thing, even if I don't quite understand how "micro" and "waves" can "cook" food. I've never been a big fan of a fully-nuked dinner, as I use the microwave primarily to reheat.

But then I discovered microwaved corn on the cob.

Oh, sista! Oh, brutha!

Here's what I said "goodbye" to:
  • Boiling water
  • Heating up my house
  • Guessing when the corn is done
  • Adding a little milk or a little sugar or a little salt, whatever
  • Husking the corn
And I said "hello" to this new corn-cooking plan:

Place the unhusked ears of corn in the microwave, as many as will fit (usually 4). If the ears are super long, break off the "stem" part but still keep the corn in its husk. Do you hear me?? DO NOT HUSK.

(Suddenly, "husk" strikes me as a really funny word.)

Put the (unhusked!) ears right on top of the glass spinning tray. If there's no tray, sit the (unhusked!) ears on a microwave-safe plate.

Warning! Math alert!

For each ear of corn, add 3-4 minutes of cooking time. Three minutes if the ears are on the small side; four minutes if they're large. (If there are four large ears, set the cooker for 16 minutes. Two small ears--microwave for six minutes. You can mix and match the sizes if you math skills are up for it.)

If you are making a second batch and need to keep the corn warm, just keep it in the husk.

Otherwise, transfer the hot (!) ears to the sink, and husk the corn while running it under cold water. The cold water will not cool the corn, but it will keep you from doing the Hot-Hot-Hot Dance aaaannndddd it will wash the silk off at the same time. Then, serve with loads of butter and a generous amount of salt.

Because, if you remember: Vegetables are all about the butter and the salt.

Snneeeeeerrrrkkkkk.

Is your corn ready in your part of the world? Is it from your garden or farmer's market? And how do you like to cook your corn?

Find more tips over at Works for Me Wednesday!


11 comments:

misty said...

I husk the corn first, put it in a ziploc bag with a few table spoons of water zip it up leaving a small opening for the steam to escape, 7 ears- 11 minutes.
Perfect every time. YUMMO!

Julie said...

Big pot.
About 2 inches of water, boiling rapidly.
'Throw' in the corn, bring back to a boil and cover.
Cook for 2 minutes. No more.

Roll you corn in butter (!) and salt it.

YUM.

Anonymous said...

What do you do with fresh corn out of the garden that has bugs in the husks?

JadeMerie said...

sounds good, thanks for sharing :)

Gayle said...

Oh My Gosh! I love how simple this is. Thanks for posting!

Stretch Mark Mama said...

To answer the question about the bugs in the husks...I just deal with the issue (using a sharp knife) after the corn is cooked.

Sheila said...

I cook the corn in the microwave every time, sometimes with the husk on and sometimes not!

Honey Mommy said...

This sounds easier than the microwave method my mother-in-law showed me! She had me husk the corn, put it in a glass pan with water, and then microwave it. I was thinking, isn't this basically the same as boiling it on the stove?

Anyway, maybe I'll have to pick up some corn today.

Amy said...

I make it this same way and LOVE it. It tastes so fresh and it's perfect every time. :) In my microwave, 4 large ears are perfectly done in seven minutes... YMMV.

Audra Krell said...

No the corn isn't ready becuase I haven't microwaved it yet. Maybe tomorrow.
Thanks for this great tip, you made me laugh!

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

Huh. Un husked. Huh.

I usually put mine in a covered corning ware with just a splash of water.