February 26, 2008

Let The Flush Be With You

Bookmark and Share

About once every six months, my faith is restored in humanity.

Introducing...

The Dual Flush Toilet:



Someone finally took the whole "If it's yellow, let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down" mantra and put it to work! Seeing as the "yellow mellow" gig is a bit much (!) for public restrooms, this john is the next best thing. Pure genius!

And because toilets are far more interesting to talk about than economics or elections, let's get down to business.

Ummmm, I mean, get to the nitty gritty.

Oh, this is not going so well.

So this throne.

Pull the handle up for liquid and paper waste disposal (1.1 gallons per flush) and push the handle down for well, anything you don't have to break up with a shovel.

(I do an extraordinary job of alienating my female readership.)

(But when my brother reads this, he will think that was a mighty fiiiiine statement for sure. "Shovel.")

Okay!

So the "down flush" takes 1.6 gallons per flush, making for a significant savings over the lifetime of the toilet.

That lifetime? A rather sorry existence indeed, I might add.

But hooray for the holy throne, and the encouragement it has given me today.

Let the flush be with you as well.


8 comments:

MamaGeek said...

Oh that's GREAT. Let the flush be with you. You're a GENIUS!

Christy said...

That made me laugh! I lived in Japan for over three years, and they are actually standard there :)

Anonymous said...

I was just going to chime in with the same thing that Christy said. Those crazy Japanese, they'll fix a toilet, just don't ask them for central A/C.

-Jen

Wheelchair Mama said...

Oh.my.gosh. I seriously laughed out loud. I loved it. And I want a toilet like that. We have boys, though, so the shovel may be necessary!

Crunchy Domestic Goddess said...

that is wonderful! it sounds like many other countries already have these types of toilets in place. hope this catches on in the US and fast.

franticallysimple said...

They have these in the airport in Portland Oregon.
The first time I saw them I laughed. Heck, I laugh every time I see them.
Hee!

Stretch Mark Mama said...

franticallysimple: Yes! That's where I see them. And they always make my day.

April said...

When my husband was a boy, they had a housekeeper that left a "deposit" that actually had to be broken up with a shovel! And they still had to throw some of it in the creek! He still tells that story. And gets a good laugh every time.