March 26, 2009

Crock Pot Lentil Soup

Bookmark and Share

Household Emergencies: Blood, fire, and the death of my crock pot.

Not necessarily in that order.

I am in desperate like with my crock pot. She sits on my counter so unpretentiously, working alongside me as I bustle about my day. And then! As if by magic, dinner is ready.

This crock pot lentil soup recipe will warm you right up. It's frugal, it's filling, and it's friendly to the environment. (Why? Because a crock pot uses far less energy than traditional cooking methods and the soup is meat-free.)

But did I mention that this soup is fabulous? So without further ado, here's the recipe.

Crock Pot Lentil Soup

1 pound dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) vegetable broth
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 medium potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium stalk celery, cut into 1/2" pieces, optional
4 cups water
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Mix all ingredients together in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8-9 hours or high heat for 3-5 hours or until lentils are tender. Stir well before serving. 8 servings.

Note: For the truly streamlined, empty-pantried folks: This recipe works just as well when you combine only the lentils, water equal to the amount of broth plus water, salt, and pepper.

Check out some recipes for my other soups:

Subscribe to this blog's feed and follow me on twitter and facebook!


11 comments:

Nan said...

Thanks for the soup recipe. Stop over for my chicken velvet soup.
Nan

Nise' said...

This is my kind of recipe...easy!
Loved the pictures of your boys decorating your tree. I miss those days all of their ornaments on 2 branches! Precious.

Mrs. Troop said...

Love the Crock Pot!
Thanks for something new to try.

Lisa said...

Great submission. This is great for people looking for crock pot ideas. Thanks for participating.

Ann Kroeker said...

I {heart} lentils AND I {heart} my crock pot. Lentil soup is probably good for my {heart}, as well! I have a batch of lentils and rice that I cooked in my new RICE COOKER, to use in burritos and such, so I have lentils on my mind and in my fridge.

newlyweds said...

I have a similar recipe, but we add cubed meat, and Velveeta cheese at the end. Yummy!

Chocolate, Vanilla and Caramel said...

Thanks for your comment about my writing classes. It's been really fun and I find I have a lot more energy through the more dull parts of my day (well, that might be most of the day, actually) and on to my fun work after the kids are in bed.

I'm so glad you posted a non-meat crockpot dish. I'll try it and hold you responsible if my family revolts. I'm trying to cook one completely meat free meal per week and it's going great.

I haven't check Google Reader in a couple of weeks and had loads of fun reading all your posts. I love your blog and your writing!!!

More Love, Less Debt said...

This is my first time to your site. I enjoyed reading and looking through it. And I cannot wait to try this soup! SO glad I checked it out.

jbarntt said...

This looks like a good recipe. I'm going to be making Easter dinner for my father and wife and it's time for something other than corned beef and cabbage.

I'll probably add some spuds and a bit of ham, for flavor. A reasonable substitute for the ham, to keep it vegetarian, would be a tablespoon or two of olive oil.

jbarntt said...

Oops, the recipe already calls for spuds. Call me dumb :(

Use of olive oil as a meat flavor substitute is good, and I will stand by it ;)

Ann Kroeker said...

Yummy lentil soup--the crock pot makes it even easier! This sounds a lot like the recipe I found at LaVonne Neff's blog. Now I'm hungry....