August 29, 2007

Sneaky Spinach

Bookmark and Share

The Mister always accuses me of trying to "get one past him". Well, that's half right. I try to get one past him and the kids.

With The Mister, I attempt to make one-quarter pound of meat pass for a side of beef.

It never works.

[But that doesn't stop me from trying.]

Now with the kids, I get some sort of Sadistic Maternal Joy watching them unknowingly chew AND swallow some gag-me-with-a-spoon type vegetable. Soups and sauces are always a great place to hide the veggies, but my latest trick involves the saute pan. Towards the end of cooking, I toss in a big handful or two of chopped fresh spinach into whatever else I'm making, wait for the leaves to reduce, and voila! Wholesome green goodness that is barely noticeable.

Usually.

As long as I keep the bag of spinach out of sight.
As long as I keep my kids from staring at their plates.
As long as I keep The Mister from quizzing me about the food.

This Sneaking business is like work. But for added nutrition, it works for me.

For more Works For Me Wednesday ideas, head over to Rocks In My Dryer.


2 comments:

sharonmc said...

Now why didn't I think of that when my daughter was small. Instead now I have a 16 year old carnivore (and I'm not kidding, you wouldn't want to be stranded on a deserted island with her...without food...for her). The ONLY vegetable she eats is romaine lettuce and it must be drenched in Ceasar salad dressing.

Laane said...

Great idea!

I'm going to use it.
Not all children are difficult eaters, but 2 of them can do with a bit more veggies. Thanks!